Tuesday, January 22, 2013

First Day to "The Land of the Morning Calm" - South Korea

  • So I have a month off and I don't feel like dealing with the craziness of Chinese New Year in China, so I'm going to South Korea
    • It's really cheap to go to South Korea right now because it's pretty cold there so all the prices for everything are really low
      • Round-trip airfare = $400
      • Hotel for 6 nights = $100
  • I flew through Asiana Airlines which I liked a lot, but it wasn't like Japan Airlines wear I had a tv set right in front of me and could select my own movies and channels, but that's probably because I didn't get the "Happy Mom Service" option at check-out



    • Just a note, the money exchangers here are the kind that, of course, rip you off. If you want the best exchange rate go to Namdaemnun Market, I actually made money there
  • The next morning I got up bright and early with the birdies and headed out to the National Museum of Korea which is a lot better than the Wikipedia article on the History of Korea.




Monkey Warrior


This is the place/thing Korean kings were coronated on

This is an ancient map of Korea/Asia and the reason why Koreans aren't known for their sailing prowess
    •  The Koreans also had funny/entertaining ways of expressing ideas through symbolism



  • War Memorial
    • The War Memorial was awesome
      • It detailed every war South Korea/Korea was ever in...ever.

Two Brothers Statue



The actual War Memorial Building

"You know, this general was a really good general, but we haven't invented steel and concrete yet...hmm, let's give him a rock" and I have to say, I want to do something so awesome they give me a rock like this








South Korean troops recapturing Seoul











Tremble in fear at the sight of our four-winged deer antler throwing tiger




  •  Korean food is awesome
    • It tastes healthy, it's spicy, and they don't use a lot of oil
Of course you have to get the Kimchi
Galbi is amazing and costs about 2,000 Won=$2





These are cold buckwheat noodles and at first it sounds weird but when you eat it, it's amazing

  • Namdaemun and Myeongdong Market
    • This place was really cool, it's a really cheap place to buy souvenirs for loved ones back home















This is the central post office which looks like it's being torn asunder

  •  Finally, North Seoul Tower/hiking up Nanshan
    • I just wanted to hike a mountain today, so I did, and it's really pretty up there with amazing views of the city








 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bruce. Enjoying your blog so far! Have a few questions, if you are willing to speak, about the company China International personal training. I'm from the uk and have received a contract off to teach English in Shenzhen. Due to the lack of reviews online I'm trying to find people who have dealt with them personally. Would love to hear more from you. Please contact me on danhoad@hotmail.com or reply back on here. Thank you buddy!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete