Tuesday, December 3, 2013

12/3/2013-Thanksgiving and Alphabet Chase (Late publishing this post, sorry about that)

  • So last week I taught Thanksgiving and we played alphabet chase
    • My favorite part about it was when a student would ask, "Why doesn't China have a thanksgiving?" and I would reply with, "because Chinese people don't like to say thank you." (which is completely true by the way)
    • I think that most of the kids forgot the Thanksgiving food words I taught them (with the exception of "Turkey") but at least they'll remember the pictures of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade
      • This was the reaction from my first graders
    • The thing I love most about my job is being a cultural ambassador
      • I remember when I was in 3rd grade there was a woman who came to my elementary school from Japan and taught us all about Japanese culture
      • Now I get to do her job every day and boy is it a great feeling
    • I think the kids enjoyed "alphabet chase" too
      • Basically, I would say "Find a word on page 8 that starts with the letter X" and all of the kids would frantically turn to page 8 and try to find a word that started with the letter X
        • The funniest parts always came when one kid would just be so proud of himself, find the word that started with the letter I wanted it to start with, but...they would be on the wrong page
        • Then there was always the student who just didn't get the whole, "start with..." part and would always find a word that had the letter in it, but not start with the letter...eh
  • Business School Decision Date is getting closer and closer
    • December 20th is the magic date when I should know which business school I'll be indebted to for the next 20 years will be
      • All joking aside, I'm really, really anxious and the sooner it comes, the better

No comments:

Post a Comment