Saturday, September 29, 2012

I Quit (and found a new job)

  • The title says it all, there were a couple big reasons why but I won't go into them publicly because that's not polite but now I'll be teaching elementary school English to children in Shenzhen for the next year
    • I'm sorry to the children in rural Guangdong who I would have allegedly been teaching (at the time of this post no definite plans for which school TFC had wanted me to be posted at had come in although allegedly the government sent them a document saying they could send teachers to teach)
    • I'm sorry to the friends I've made at Teach for China because I feel like I've let them down and didn't give them a proper goodbye
    • I'm sorry to my manager because I know that if I ever became a manager that he is exactly the type of manager I want to be like and emulate
    • I'm sorry to the kids at the English Corner at Shantou University that I didn't get to watch Wall-E with on Thursday and say goodbye too
  • My last few English corners with the Shantou University students  
    • English Corner
      • We had fun with the first graders on Monday
        • We started off by teaching them how to Crank Dat Soulja Boy and they got it for the most part except for the beginning parts (but they knew how to do the YOUUUUUUUU part really well) 
          • I saw another group teaching their kids how to do the hokey pokey, yeah let’s see how well that helps them later in life when they're in a disco and the only moves they can do is “You put your left hand in…” 
          •  In all honesty though, that hokey pokey dance is what I should have done because at least their learning proper English that way, (Note: the only lyrics I taught them to the rap song was YOUUUUUUU because I'd ask them the definition of it in Chinese and they'd say, "NIIIIIIIIIIII")  
        • And now I think one 1st grade girl has a crush on me 
          • We had to go inside because it was raining and the kids apparently thought they were made of sugar and they'd melt and when we got inside this one girl was trying to ask me a question and she asked me to come really close to her so I put my ear near her mouth…and she licked my ear
            • They don’t really prepare you for how to respond to that in summer institute so at first I said, “uhhhh…no….I mean ….no…………no" 
          • Then after class she wanted to talk to me again, so her way of talking to me was grabbing me by the pinky and running out of the school as fast as she could 
            •  I thought, “Oh maybe she wants to introduce me to her family and then I'd have a great opportunity to establish roots in the community” but then she just let go of my pinky and said, “BYYYYYYYE!”

No comments:

Post a Comment