Sunday, September 15, 2013

9/13/2013-Second Week of School-Name Bingo


  • Second Week of School-Name Bingo
    • So last week I gave them all English names, now I wanted to make them use them
      • I decided that if they ever decide to go to America, they had to know what Bingo was so I made a Bingo template with character traits instead of numbers, and I told them that they have to find a person who matches that character trait and have that person fill in the box with their English name in order for that Bingo square to count
    • Explaining Bingo definitely wasn’t as much fun as watching them play it
      • Because my Chinese is at best “ok” I only did an “ok” job of explaining how to actually play but after I actually played it with them, then they sort of got it.
      • It was only when I said, “Alright, who’s Chinese?” and after the all raised their hand, I went over and I picked one of them and put their English name in the Bingo box, then I asked “OK, who likes bitter melon?” and after only seeing one girl like it, I went over to her and filled her name in the box and all of the students in the class went “ohhhhhh”
    • Watching them play name Bingo was actually kind of fun
      • It was fun watching the really competitive kids run screaming around the room “WHO LIKES SWIMMING!? WHO LIKES SWIMMING?! WHY DOESN’T ANYONE LIE SWIMMING?!”





    • My first graders are still a work in progess
      • These kids just came from Kindergarten so they have no idea about things/concepts such as:
        • Lining up in a straight line even with the help of a straight line
        •   It’s not polite to pick your nose when the teacher’s talking to you
        • Being quiet
          • I have one student who will just sit in class and just make noises just for the sake of making noises. I know he doesn’t want attention because as soon as I look at him, he just has this quizical look on his face like “Why are you looking at me?”
        • Giving sickness warning signs
          • I remember looking at a kid and the student looked fine even though she was staring with a really stoic face at the front of the classroom where nobody was at the time and then I turn my head and not two seconds later I hear “Blaaaaaaah”
    • I didn't realize it was humanly possible to cry so hard a blood vessel in your nose will burst until this week
      • I'm trying to change discipline systems now because maybe the "three strikes and your out" system might be too harsh so now I'm trying the "happy bar"
        • It's a bar scaled from 1 to 10 and every day the students start off at 5
          • If they're good, I move the bar up and if it reaches 10, then we have free time
          • If they're bad, I move the bar down and if it reaches 1, they have to read the vocab list out loud and then the bar moves to 2
      • Well one 3rd grader thought that this move from individual punishment to collective punishment meant he had free reign
        • Well he was wrong
          • After telling him 5 TIMES to sit in his seat while I explained something, he wouldn't do it so I just grabbed his schoolbag and told him, "I'm going to send your mom a text message, tell her to meet me at this school, and I'll will criticize you in front of her (which is effective because then the mother will criticize them in more standard Mandarin Chinese so I'll know that the kid understands)
        • So  I kicked him out of the class, told him to wait for me at his home room teacher's office, and I thought that was the end of it
          • Well I was wrong
          • He ended up just sitting outside of the doorway on the ground crying as loud as he could
          • I (and the rest of my class) were ignoring him just fine until one student said, "Teacher, he's bleeding"
            • And that's when I thought "oh...no"
            • Sure enough, this kid was gushing blood out of his nose and I thought it was because he hit himself or something 
        • We went to the nurse and that's when we found out that his family has a history of nose bleeders
          • I still took his bookbag and I still met with his mom that very night, but at that moment I was scared to death.

    • Problems our students face 
      • Because I work in a relatively poor part of Futian District, even though it’s way nicer than any poor part of America, we have problems that not a lot of other schools face in our district. 
      • Most of our students are sons or daughters of migrant workers who usually
        •  Can’t speak English.
        • Don’t have the resources to provide their students with tutoring services that richer students’ parents can 
        • Usually don’t have a high level of education themselves which isn’t that much of a problem for elementary school students but that will be a problem once they go on to higher grades
        • Don’t have access to the internet or devices with cd playing capabilities so when students can’t practice their listening skills they’re at a big disadvantage compared to other students in other schools in this district 
      • But at least our school is doing its best to eliminate the educational inequality in our schools
        • Every student has access to computer class once they get to 3rd grade so that they aren't as behind from their wealthier peers when it comes to information technology than if they had no computer class
        • All of our classes have flat-screen TV's or large screen projectors and the latest education software available
        • There's a lot of extra-curricular activities where students can join bird-watching clubs (our school's bird-watching club won first place in Shenzhen  last year-REPRESENT!)
          • That last point doesn't really help eradicate educational inequality but it does prove that even though the students at our school don't have the same access to information that students at other schools have but we still compete with the big boys
    • English week activities 
      •  So Shui Wei elementary school is going to plan an English week in November and I need help from people who have any bright ideas about activities.
      • My ideas are: 
        • Create an English Honors Society that mirrors the French Honors Society and Spanish Honors Society that exist in America
        • Essay competition 
          • 1st-3rd graders write an analyze a famous English quote and how it applies to their lives
          • 4th-6th graders write about their favorite things and 3 reasons why 
        • Invite a group of foreign dance experts to give a performance 
        • Have a “Make words with your body” competition
      Teacher’s Day gifts 
    •   Tuesday, September 10th was teacher’s day and we got a lot of great gifts
      •  We got 300 RMB from Shui Wei village as a thank you from the village to us teachers 
      •  We got roses and some teachers got gifts from students
        •   I got 6 Ferrero Rocher chocolate bolls and about 7 flowers
   
    • I won a 100 RMB gift card to Shenzhen Book City for being voted for "My favorite class"- “我最喜爱的一节课 -
      •  I guess some students like my class  
  • Choosing Chinese pre-wedding photos 
    •  If you’ve never had a chance to take pre-wedding photos in China, it’s an experience
      • Me and my girlfriend are going to see her parents in Hubei during Mid-Autumn Festival and they want me to prove that I’m serious about their daughter, so we found a great online deal for wedding photos and decided that, “Hey, if they see us in pictures wearing wedding apparel, that should show them I’m serious 
        • This was actually a really good deal 
          • For 2000 RMB, we got  
            •  over 200 photos to choose from (we could choose 70) 
            •  30” oil painting of one of the photos 
            • 24” oil painting of one of the photos 
            •  2 x10”, 8”, 7” frames with our photos in them 
            • A 16”, 12”, 10”, and 7” photo album that has our photos in them but not in like a “2-year old slapped some glue and photos in here” kind of way but a professional looking way 
            • A Chinese knot photo frame that looked like a Chinese knot and had Chinese knots hanging off of it 
            • 2 keychains with our hologram pictures in the, 
            • 5 ft. poster of one of our photos 
            • 6 wallet photos 
    • Taking Chinese pre-wedding photos took ALL DAY 
      •  I left my apartment at 7:30 AM and didn’t get back until about 9:30 PM 
        • We were all grouped into a time slot (there were about 5 couples) and we all met at the photo studio, selected our outfits, they helped us put on make-up, they wanted to do my hair and I made the mistake of letting them which had the result of me having a hair-do that would lead people to question my sexuality so as soon as they got done I just took my hands and ruffed up my hair back to it’s original state 
          • Then we all got into a mini-van and headed off to a beach 
            •  This beach is specifically designed for wedding photos because there’s actually only a few people who go there to swim 
            •   I would say 70% of the people there were taking wedding photos 
          •  The way our wedding photos were taken was very efficient 
            • We would wait in line and when our turn was up, we would get in the already pre-determined poses, and then we were out of there 
          • We did this for 5 different pairs of outfits which included 
            •   Classic western wedding
            • Classic Chinese wedding 
            •  Color-blind hippies 
            •  Rich and on a boat/beach 
            • Clothes that say we’re going to be in or around the seawater but not enough to warrant putting on actual swimsuits 
      • We (Shirley and I) selected our photos two days after they were taken and boy do I have a weird smile 
              • I’ve really got to get down how to look like I’m naturally smiling because I ruined about half of the photos which turned out making the 70 picture selection a lot easier

No comments:

Post a Comment