Tuesday, September 17, 2013

9/16/2013-Third week of school and getting ready to see girlfriend's parents over Mid-Autumn festival

  • This week we're just playing Jeopardy because it's such a weird week
    • This week is Mid-Autumn Festival (September 19-21) and so we have Thursday and Friday off but we have to work on Sunday because Chinese holidays aren't actual holidays
      • The way Chinese holidays work is that for every day you get off in the week, you have to make it up on the weekend, so really it's not an actual holiday and the following week sucks because you'll be working for 6 straight days (We have to work from Sunday, September 22nd to the following Friday)
    • So because it's an odd week, I've just prepared Jeopardy for my 2nd-5th graders and I had in my original plans to give my 1st graders English names (the reason why I didn't give my first graders English names in the first week is because they hadn't quite mastered the art of sitting down for 5 straight minutes and I feel that this week is going to be different)
  • Moving into the slums
    • So I found this great deal on an apartment in the same neighborhood as my school, but it could easily described as a slum
      • It's kind of like what I imagine the poor part of Paris was like when I read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, but I mean man it's cheap
    • It's 40 square meters for 1600 RMB a month which is half of what I pay now
      • There's no furniture or anything, but my school is going to supply with my appliances and I'm on my own as far as a bed, drawers, etc.
    • I'll take pictures once my life slows down
      • Moving is pretty hectic when you've accumulated a lot of stuff like me, plus with all of the hurdles you have to go through in order to change addresses (really it's only going to the local police office and registering but because their schedule is not accommodating to people who are working for a living-which is most foreigners-it's a hassle)
  • Preparing to visit Hubei
    • So my girlfriend lives in rural Hubei and I'm preparing to make the trip fully loaded with food (moon cakes are the traditional Mid-Autumn Festival snacks for this time of year) and toys to bribe the smaller members of her family into liking me

No comments:

Post a Comment