Saturday, June 16, 2012

2012-06-15 and 2012-06-16 - First day in Hong Kong


  • Waking up at 3 AM while travelling is a horrible idea
    • I had to get from Suzhou to Shanghai South railway station and the absolute latest I could do it was for a train at 4:57 AM so I thought I could manage that
      • Turns out that you forget some things when you can’t turn the light on in a pitch-black room because you don’t want to wake the other 5 people in your dorm
      • I could have sworn I remembered everything but when I was about to leave I realized I forgot my sleeping mask and it wouldn’t be a problem if Mingtown Suzhou’s room card reader was working but it wasn’t and they gave the keys to the room to 2 out of 6 of us (I wasn’t one of the 2)
    • So in order to check out I thought it wouldn’t be a problem because their advertisement said they had a “24 hour English staff”
      • Yeah, turns out it was a 50-year old Chinese guy in a wife-beater I had to wake up from a nap by banging on the glass door
      • I tried to explain to him that I lost my sleep mask but we got lost in translation so I had to pull out my ipad app “Pleco” and translate that I lost my American football mask in my room because my dictionary didn’t have the word for sleep mask
    • We got in and out in under a minute but it was still kind of pain that was completely my fault but the hotel didn’t make my life easier
  • There is one good thing to getting up at 3 AM in China
    • You get the America feeling when you're walking down a dark street by yourself you say, "this is kind of creepy"
    • It was weird just to see no one around and I mean absolutely no one
      • This was the first time where I just thought, "Where is everybody?" because usually there's people everywhere
    • Even the train station (and this is the first time since I've been to China that this has happened) barely had anyone in there


  • Learned how to play Winner ((Chinese: 争上游; Pinyin: Zheng Shangyou)
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winner_(card_game)
    • I have seen people play this everywhere in China and I always wanted to learn how to play
      • On the train ride from Shanghai to Shenzen I finally got a chance to learn when this IT guy from Duluth, GA taught me how to play
        • I was crushed pretty regularly but I won a couple of rounds and I actually did win one entire game
    • It was more like me and the girl and her mom who helped me play but I like to think that some of the victory was contributed by me
  • Slept the rest of the trip
    • The train ride lasted 18 hours and I slept for 15 hours of it so I’m sure southern China is nice but I’ll have to see it when I take the bullet train from Hong Kong to Beijing
  • I knew I would love Hong Kong the moment I stepped into customs
    • All of the signs were in Chinese AND good English

      • This made me think, “Alright, this place is going to be at least on par with Beijing and Shanghai”
    • But then I found out that the bathrooms have tissue paper and soap
      • That’s the moment I knew I stepped into a faraway version of America
  • I feel bad for security guards on the Chinese side of Hong Kong customs
    • They don’t even get their names on their chests, they just get numbers (about 6 of them)
      • You know it’s not a cost issue because most people’s names are only 3 characters long
  • Plus it was a nice change of pace to have a care-free customs guy
    • To leave China I NEEDED to have a departure card to get out of the country 
      • I didn’t realize this until I went in line, spent 15 minutes waiting to get to the front, got turned away, and then spent another 15 minutes in line to get out of the country
    • Getting into Hong Kong was definitely easier
      • I only filled in half of the arrival card I needed to fill out to get in but the guy still waved me on through
  • Hong Kong is beautiful
    • It reminds me a lot of America in that there’s really tall skyscrapers and a lot of people (maybe 80%) speak English




    • Only it’s better in that everything is so cheap and the public transportation system rocks!
      • The subway is expensive (compare to Beijing where every trip costs 2 RMB) but other than that and the lack of street food I love it here
  • I miss Chinese street food
    • Hong Kong is like an American city and as such it’s hard to find cheap food
      • I could find baozi for 10 RMB without a problem but here it took me 2.5 hours until I found my first food cart
    • Hong Kong does have delicious street food when you do find it
      • Although it set me back 11 HKD this was a pretty tasty rice burrito

  • Got to see the Star Ferry
    • National Geographic said it was one of the 50 things you have to do in your life and it was actually pretty cool
      • It only costs 3 HKD to ride it and you get some pretty awesome views of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon



  • Dim Sum is really good
    • Because I’m a loser and travel by myself, I had to eat dim sum alone which kind of defeats the purpose but I did it anyway 
      • The barbecued meat rolls made it worth it



  • Saw Victoria Peak
    • It was nice because I thought that the rain was clearing (and it did for about 10 minutes today) but by the time I got up there the rain started falling again
      • I got trapped in a pavilion with an Indian family and they were super nice so at least it made the time go by faster as we waited in vain for the rain to pass



    • I’m just glad I only paid 20 HKD total to go to and from there
      • What happened was that I got lost in a Chinese city for the 15th time and luckily I stumbled on a public transit bus that goes to and from the peak
    • It only cost 10 HKD up and 10 HKD down so I just hopped on and thanked my lucky stars I got to save an entire 40 HKD ($5) by taking the bus instead of the tram
      • Unfortunately this is all I got of Hong Kong from Victoria Peak
  • Saw the aptly named Big Buddha
    • I tried to be cheap again and it backfired again
      • You can take a ferry from Central harbor for 4 HKD less than it takes to take the subway from Central to the island the big Buddha is on so I decided to save my money and take the ferry
    • I left the central pier of Hong Kong at 3:00 pm and I got in at 3:55 pm where the subway only takes half an hour
      • That wouldn’t be a problem if the big Buddha didn’t close at 5:30 and the only way up there is a bus that runs once every hour
        • Luckily I made it with half an hour left
  • I got to see the ancient “Big Buddha” that was built in 1984 and it was really cool






  • My favorite part of the island that the Big Buddha was on was that the cows run it
    • There are cows everywhere and they just walk around like they own the place
      • I saw two of them walk right onto the grounds of the police station and start grazing there
      • In fact, my bus on the way up there had to stop in front of a cow twice just so we wouldn’t run over it

No comments:

Post a Comment