Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday, June 10th-Tienanmen, Temple of Heaven, and off to Shanghai

  • Finally got a chance to fully see the Tiananmen Square
      • That is quite an impressive square that’s really heavily guarded
        • You’d think you’re in the middle of a war with all the guards surrounding the place
        • It’s funny that there are so many guards but I could have brought in a cooler full of beer with no problems at all










      • An old guy out-ran me
        • There was an older 60 year-old European there and he was noticeably excited to get into Tiananmen
        • As soon as he got through security he power-walked in front of me and shouted back, “HEY, YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO SPEED UP IF YOU WANT TO GO WITH ME!”
          • I said, “Nah man, you go ahead, I have more time to see it than you do” and I don't think he got what I was trying to say because he power-walked pretty fast after that
      • Mao Zedong Mausoleum
        • I decided that it probably wasn’t worth my time to see an old dead guy so I skipped him but from the outside his mausoleum is quite impressive

    • Temple of Heaven Park
      • That was a really cool park and it made me feel like being catholic was easy
        • There was an all-day ritual they went through in order to pray for a good rain and lots of crops that was like, “Oh wow that is involved”
      • Plus it was nice to see Beijing and this park with no smog
        • I guess the rain yesterday cleared away some of the smog













    • Finally approached by “pretty Asian girl” scam
      • It’s about time, 5 guys asked me if I had been to the great wall yet in order to rip me off and I’ve been waiting forever to hear from the “Pretty Asian Girl” scam
        • Basically these two really pretty Asian girls walked up to me with really good English asking me where I was from and what I did
        • I told them I was going to the National China Museum and they asked me if I wanted to go to a bar with them near the museum with them
      • I said no (in order of importance)
        • They were WAY out of my league so it sounded fishy (I’m talking they’re in the majors and I’m the bat-boy in single A out of my league)
        • I wanted to go be a nerd and learn something and going to a bar at 11:00 in the morning didn’t sound like my idea of fun
        • I knew about the scam through Lonely Planet
        • I’m really cheap and I didn’t want to buy them a beer
      • This is the way the scam works
        • They take you to a bar to teach you English, they run up the bill, then they ditch you
        • Not exactly my idea of fun
      • I had been waiting forever too to experience this
        • I’ve only been asked to have my photo taken about 5 times in more than 2 weeks so I feel like I’m really missing out on the foreigner experience
        • I have been getting ripped off a lot so I guess I’m getting some of that feeling
      • Beijing South Railway Station is by far the nicest one I’ve ever been in
        • It wasn’t crowded, it was super clean, the noise was tolerable, and people were actually smiling
          • They wanted 5 RMB for a pen but other than that I love this place





      • The bullet train from Beijing to Shanghai was pretty impressive too
        • In fact I got to experience two bullet trains because I got on the wrong one at first and they were both really cool
          • I don’t know how I screwed up a sign that was in plain English but somehow I did and I boarded a train to Qingdao instead of Shanghai
          • Luckily some guy called me out on it and I got on the right train with all my luggage but I think I left quite a bit of dignity behind on the other train
        • It went at its fastest 302 km/hour (187.6 miles/hr)
          • You didn’t even feel it because it kind of felt like a luxury version of an Amtrak




        • The person I sat next to was really interesting too
          • She was a cosmetician who didn’t believe in the idea of personal space
            • She shared an apple and granola bar with me which I guess in China gives a person permission to rub up against you
            • She wasn’t into men though, I saw on her cell phone a picture of a young looking woman (I swear she looked 40 or so because she wasn’t wearing make-up) and I asked if that was her daughter on her cellphone wallpaper and she said, “no, that’s me”
              • I felt really embarrassed and I think she did too so she shut down her phone but the image that flashed when she shut down her phone was a full-body picture of a naked blond woman
              • I asked her what that was and she laughed and said, “I like them”
      • Got to the hostel with no problem
    Shanghai subway when I presume it's not busy

        • I found it after following this college-age looking Chinese girl to the hostel but I didn’t realize that she was staying in an apartment complex right next door so I followed her into her apartment complex that looked super-sketchy but then I realized, “Oh she’s not staying at the hostel”
          • I actually realized that fact when I spoke to the staff and not one of them spoke a lick of English
    So I backtracked and found where I was supposed to stay and tomorrow is looking Shanghai-tasti

    No comments:

    Post a Comment