Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday, June 3rd- Anda Guesthouse Desert Tour


  • Woke up this morning to rain thinking, “Oh great, it would be just my luck to rain in the desert on the day I go to the desert”
    • Luckily it passed by 8 AM and I said to myself, “Yes, now I get to see a truly dead place that’s sunny and dry!”
  • However I did get the feeling of what a mini-concussion is like
    • So apparently the driver packed everything but forgot to pack the rear shocks into the van
    • Due to the fact that China has way too many speed bumps and they just need to do something with all of them, they lined about 50 miles of highway that was under construction with 4 speed bumps every 7 miles or so and I flew off my seat on every single one
      • Eventually I got the trick that you have to jump up in the air before you hit the speed-bump so it actually turned into a pretty fun game on the way to the desert so I would highly recommend it
  • The lunch was awesome
    • No one spoke for a good 20-30 minutes because everyone was filling their mouths with all of the delicious food
  • Glad with my decision to be an English teacher and not a professional camel rider
    • There’s no skill involved with riding a camel in the desert, but I don’t think there’s a lot of sponsorship money to be had in camel riding
      • The camel riding was actually pretty fun for the 20 minutes I got out of it
    • Although my camel was pretty funny-he was a thigh kind of man
      • The camel I was riding just loved being about 1 cm away from the bare right thigh  of the girl in front of me
      • I felt bad for her because he sneezed on her twice but I tried to apologize as best I could









  • First rule of driving on Chinese highways
    • It’s alright to drive on the shoulder of the road for 2 hours as if it’s another lane
      • At first I was alright with it because we wanted to pass this truck and someone was blocking the other lane
        • But then we stayed on the shoulder for about 2 hours 
    • Maybe it was the Chinese hair metal music we were listening to that had our driver super pumped up
  • Second rule of driving in China
    • It's alright to drive with the parking brake on as long as you're in the desert
      • The little red light you see inside the circumference of the steering wheel is the parking brake

    • This may or may not lead you to get stuck on a sand dune

No comments:

Post a Comment